29 September 2006

The Backlash Continues

The backlash is continuing. Four Alaska native villages are rejecting Hugo Chavez's free fuel:

Leaders from four Western Alaska villages have rejected an offer of free heating oil from a Venezuelan- owned company because that nation's president this month called President Bush "a devil" and made other inflammatory comments about the United States.

"Despite the critical need for fuel in our region, the Unangan (Aleut) people are Americans first, and we cannot support the political agenda attached to this donation," read a statement from Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association released late Thursday.

From my conversations with folks in this region - not extensive, mind you - I think this principled stand has not spread from the Aleutians.

Principles are great and I respect people who manage to take principled stands but I'm not sure this is the wisest step. Yes, the fuel may be tainted by its source but heat is necessary and fuel is expensive. Sometimes self-preservation needs to top all other considerations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I enjoy your thoughtful comments I can't help but be a bit jealous of your reporter position. To have the time to blog any time during the work day is considered a luxury to me. At my job blogging, MySpace and Fantasy Football all fall under the same taboo category. Not that I presume to know your situation, but all I can say is it must be nice. Anyway, I appreciate your enteries.

Jesse Zink said...

For the record, my blogging happens on off-the-clock time at work. The reporter's job is not a typical 9-to-5 gig but a "whenever news is happening" gig, which often includes many late evening meetings.

Thanks for the comments.

-Jesse